Wet, Windy and Wintry Weather Collection Tips
January 14, 2011 (Bellingham, WA) - The wet, windy and wintry weather season is here. Recycling bins and garbage Toters (TM) that tip over and spill are a mess to clean up and detract from the beauty of our community. To help reduce wind-blown litter, and keep garbage and recyclables contained until pick-up, check out these tips for securing your recycling bins, garbage and recycling Toters (TM) and garbage dumpsters for collection on wet, windy and/or wintry days.Recycling Collection Tips
1) If possible, avoid putting bins out on very windy days. If they are less than half-full, consider waiting for the next pick-up.
If you do put them out for collection, consider these suggestions:
1) Place single bins on the ground – DO NOT stack. Please place several feet from Toters (TM) for easier collection.
2) Place a rock or brick on top of newspaper in newspaper bin.
3) Place a rock or brick on top of mixed paper in mixed paper bin OR place mixed paper in a paper bag, then lay the bag on its side in the mixed paper bin. If it is really windy, place a brick or rock on top of the paper bag.
4) Place cans/glass/plastic containers bin between the two paper bins with heavier items (like glass) on top (if possible).
Food Plus! Recycling Collection Tips
Place a rock or brick on top of Toter (TM) lid. Please do not use bungee cords to secure lids (the recoiling hooks are a hazard to drivers/collectors).
Garbage Collection Tips
Place a rock or brick on top of Toter lid and close lids securely on larger containers and dumpsters. Please do not use bungee cords to secure lids (the recoiling hooks are a hazard to drivers/collectors).
Please mark your address on bins and Toter(s). This will help you locate your Toter or bins should they get blown away.
Finally, please bag ALL GARBAGE, especially Styrofoam Peanuts.
Thank you for helping keep our community clean!