SSC Home Page Link ssclogo_right.png
2015 Outstanding Philanthropic Small Business

WRRA 2007 Sustainable Business of the Year Winner

2006 Recyclers of the Year

(360) 734-3490 | 24 Hr Answering Service (360) 734-2051 | | Contact Us

Ask SSC How do I dispose of an empty can that held mineral spirits?


HHW Container

Q. How do I dispose of an empty can that held mineral spirits?

A: Dear Suzannah,

Empty metal and plastic containers that held potentially hazardous products, such as mineral spirits (paint thinner), solvents, etc. are accepted for recycling from residential customers if prepared properly.

Commercial Customers

Business generated hazardous waste is not accepted. Businesses should contact Disposal of Toxics for options or call (360) 380-4640.

Residential and Multi-Family Customers

Remove lid (recycle loose). Recycle any paper label with scrap paper. Let remaining vapors or residual liquid evaporate then recycle empty container with bottles, cans and plastic containers in your recycling bin or Toter®.

For more info about household hazardous waste disposal and recycling, visit Disposal of Toxics.

For additional questions, contact us or call (360) 734-3490. For answers to other Ask SSC questions click here.


About Sanitary Service Company (SSC)

Established in 1929, SSC is Whatcom County's largest recycling and garbage collection service provider, serving 45,000 + customers from Bellingham to Blaine and beyond. SSC is a sustaining member of Sustainable Connections, a Toward Zero Waste Founding Pioneer, 100% Green Power Leader, 5-Star EnviroStar, bicycle-friendly business and Whatcom Smart Trips employer. For more info visit




« Go Back


Sustainable Connections Member

Online Bill Pay Flyer

footer1 footer2

Home | Recycling | Waste | Special Services | News | About Us | FAQs | My Account | Pay Bill | Contact Us